(True Pundit) FBI Director Christopher Wray offered a new timeline on the background check for former White House staff secretary Rob Porter, saying the investigation ended in July but that new information was then provided to the White House in November and January.
Wray in response to questions from Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) said that investigators submitted a partial report on their investigation of Porter as far back as March 2017.
“I can’t get into the content of what was briefed, what I can tell you is the FBI submitted a partial report on the investigation in question in March, and then a completed background investigation in late July,” he said.
“Soon thereafter we received request for follow-up inquiry and we did the follow-up and provided that information in November and then we administratively closed the file in January. And then earlier this month, we received additional information and we passed that on as well.”
It’s unclear what new information was provided to the FBI after it completed the initial background investigation in July.
Porter resigned last week after allegations from two ex-wives that he abused them became public.
Would NOT surprise me one bit if FBI slow walked Porter's background check to make Trump look bad. A competent federal agency would have known of his domestic abuse history WITHIN 48 HOURS, NOT A YEAR. FBI simply can't be trusted. Political wing of the Democrats.
— Thomas Paine (@Thomas1774Paine) February 9, 2018
Last time I checked, FBI was responsible for background checks of White House personnel. It took them a year to figure out a guy had domestic abuse charges? When I was working Intel we'd know something like that in 48 hours tops about a target, subject. How is that Trump's fault?
— Thomas Paine (@Thomas1774Paine) February 9, 2018
Also, Judge Nopolitano gave his 2 cents on Fox Insiders:
UPDATE via True Pundit:
Any way to slice it, it certainly appears the White House was kept in the dark about problematic portions of Rob Porter’s FBI background sweep, according to numerous FBI sources.
The FBI either slow walked the Intel of Porter’s links to domestic abuse by seven months or possibly an entire year. We do know that the FBI knew of Porter’s abuse in January 2017 and did not divulge it to his employer: the White House.
Or to then-chief of staff Reince Priebus.
This was even before President Donald Trump’s inauguration.
Here is what we are getting from FBI sources as well as FBI Director Christopher Wray’s testimony today on the Hill.
If neither Wray nor the White House are lying, based on Intel we are receiving, then there is little doubt the FBI slow walked the Rob Porter background check to likely embarrass President Donald Trump and his White House.
While few would have thought the FBI would engage is such political skulduggery a year ago, we all know better now than to discount that very likely possibility.
It is no coincidence the Porter ‘scandal’ was leaked to the mainstream media literally hours after embattled and defrocked FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe lost his gun and FBI shield. This is just simple deep-state math.
But FBI sources confirm two Bureau agents working the Porter background sweep were notified in January 2017 that Porter allegedly punched at least one ex-wife in the face and often roughed her up, according to sources.
Colbie Holderness told FBI agents of Porter’s abuse, again, in January 2017. FBI sources confirm during that interview Holderness produced digital photos with time stamps confirming injuries to her orbital area from the 2005 alleged beating. FBI sources said an internal 302 report from January 2017 naming two FBI agents who spoke with Holderness detail these facts.
So why did the FBI wait at least seven months to notify the White House?
In July, the FBI concluded the majority of Porter’s background sweep. Wray confirmed that fact Tuesday during testimony.
Who was FBI Director at that time? Andrew McCabe was serving as Acting FBI Director at the time, since James Comey had been fired. Wray was not sworn into that role until a month later, in August 2017.
Comey was fired in May 2017 and according to FBI sources, no domestic dispute Intel was divulged to the White House about Porter before Comey was sacked. That puts the FBI on the clock for five months after first being notified of Porter’s alleged abuse.
That leaves McCabe holding the bag here and wrapping up the initial phases of Porter’s background sweep just days before Wray came into office.
Wray would not say specifically when the domestic abuse allegations were reported to the White House. During testimony Tuesday he mentioned reports were filed in July and November 2017 as well as an “updated” background report in January 2018.
How many current FBI-linked investigations is McCabe currently the target of?
Do the math.
Add his name to another emerging scandal.
- FBI Withheld Porter Background Check & Alleged Domestic Abuse Details from White House For Months – True Pundit
- FBI chief contradicts White House account on Porter background check
- FBI Officials: McCabe & Comey Knew of Porter’s Domestic Violence Before Inauguration; FBI Withheld Intel for a Year